Post Op ClosureFast Instructions
After your ClosureFast procedure (endovenous radiofrequency ablation of saphenous vein):
• COMPRESSION: wear compression stockings / leg wrap(s) continuously for 96 hours, except for brief periods when you need to change them. If you need to change them, lie down to do so to keep pressure off the treated vein. Then wear them during the day only for another 2 weeks.
• BATHING: on the second morning during the first 96 hours, you may shower with the stockings on and then lie down in bed and change to dry stockings.
• PAIN & MEDICATIONS: Some inflammation, tenderness, and bruising is common. It is not uncommon to have slightly more tenderness during the second week after the procedure. Most discomfort can be relieved by Tylenol, ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) or naproxen (Aleve). There is no reason one cannot take medicine like ibuprofen of naproxen after ClosureFast or Venaseal.
• EXERCISE & ACTIVITY: You should walk every day after ClosureFast: at least 20 minutes day, but preferably an hour a day. Light aerobics, bicycle riding, is okay. Avoid strenuous exercise, heavy weight lifting, squatting, or activities that require heavy "bearing down" or Valsalva maneuvers.
• FOLLOW-UP: Follow-up is around six weeks after the procedure (the last one if you are having more than one procedure day). At this visit, you will have a post-procedure ultrasound with either Juli or Devon and then see Dr. Artwohl. This is a no-fee visit. You should have received an appointment time, but if you do not have one or need to change it, call the office at 907-222-6240.
• CALL THE OFFICE (907-222-6240) IMMEDIATELY FOR: Prolonged tenderness, redness or warmth along the treated segment, moderate to severe pain preventing a return to normal activities, shortness of breath, swelling in the treated limb, ANY questions or concerns.
DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL FOR 24 HOURS IF YOU HAD VALIUM FOR YOUR PROCEDURE
Alaska Vein Clinic • 3300 Providence Drive, Suite 309 • Anchorage AK • 99508
Tel 907-222-6240 • Fax: 907-222-6870