Robert R Artwohl, MD, PC • 3300 Providence Drive, Suite 309 • Anchorage AK 99508
Phone: 907-222-6240 • Fax: 907-222-6870
POST VENASEAL INSTRUCTIONS
After your Venaseal procedure (adhesive closure of saphenous vein):
• COMPRESSION: after Venaseal, compressions stockings are not formally required. However, you might find there is some inflammation from the adhesive and support might make your legs feel more comfortable. Also, if have very large varicose veins, Dr. Artwohl feels it is a good idea to keep your varicose veins compressed after the Venaseal procedure for two weeks to help prevent superficial thrombophlebitis (blood clot in the varicose veins).
• BATHING: you may bathe 8 hours after the procedure. This gives time for the small incision to seal. Do not rub your incision directly.
• PAIN & MEDICATIONS: Some inflammation, tenderness, and bruising is common. It is not uncommon to have slightly more tenderness during the second week after the procedure. Most discomfort can be relieved by Tylenol, or, assuming you have no medical conditions that preclude either, ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), or naproxen (Aleve).
• EXERCISE & ACTIVITY: You should walk every day after your Venaseal procedure: at least 20 minutes daily. There is no set limit on activity after Venaseal, but Dr. Artwohl recommends avoiding extremely vigorous activity for two weeks, especially those that involve bearing down.
• FOLLOW-UP: Follow-up is around six weeks after the procedure (the last one if you are having more than one procedure day). At this visit, you will have a post-procedure ultrasound with Devon and then see Dr. Artwohl. This is a no-fee visit. You should have received an appointment time, but if you do not have one or need to change it, call the office at 907-222-6240.
• CALL THE OFFICE (907-222-6240) IMMEDIATELY FOR: Prolonged tenderness, redness or warmth along the treated segment, moderate to severe pain preventing return to normal activities, shortness of breath, swelling in the treated limb, ANY questions or concerns.
Alaska Vein Clinic • 3300 Providence Drive, Suite 309 • Anchorage, AK 99508
Phone: 907-222-6240 • Fax: 907: 907-222-6870
This website was created and is maintained by the Alaska Vein Clinic.